That Bavarians were always a Christian people is no secret. No matter which village you come from, and if there are only five farms, there is usually a church. In Eichstaett, the seat of the bishop of the same diocese, there are a number of other Catholic churches, as well as the Church of the Redeemer, an evangelical church, all of which were hardly a stone’s throw apart.
The Benedictine nuns in the monastery of St. Walburg look back on a centuries-long tradition. The local Capuchin monastery was abandoned in 2010 after more than four hundred years, due to the lack of young people. The Salesians are also based in the Rosental with a church, a monastery and a student residence.
There is also the “Schutzengelkirche”, a former Jesuit church, one of the most beautiful Baroque churches in Southern Germany. The church of the Holy-Ghost-Spital, which is also the name given to the directly adjoining retirement home, was originally established as a hospital for the city.
In Eichstätt there is also the Maria-Hilf-Kapelle, which is located in the immediate vicinity of St. Walburg Monastery, as well as the Frauenberg Chapel high above the city, completed by Gabriel de Gabrieli in 1739.
The most modern church “to the Holy Family” is located in the east of the city and was only built in the sixties of the last century. With its parallelepipedal design of concrete and clinker, it represents a stark contrast to the historic buildings of the old town.